10 August 2009

LEARNING MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (LMS)

CQUniversity (2009) describes learning management system (LMS) “a single platform that delivers content, manages assessment, provides communication forums and virtual collaboration spaces for students.” LMS can be categorised into two main types, proprietary and open source. Proprietary LMS (Blackboard or WebCT) cost and are generally expensive and lack flexibility; however, have good documentation and backup support. Open source LMS (Moodle) are inexpensive and are more flexible; however, may not have good documentation and or any backup support (CQUniversity, 2009). LMS can be adapted in the classroom by the means of the LM providing lectures and helping students with exercises; guides group discussion and supervise computer-based tests. Students can follow the lectures via the LMS, read notes, do exercise and take part in discussion with other students and LM if available (Worthington, 2008). I went and Google LMS and found an open source that I could use called haikuLMS, the Web site https://www.myhaikuclass.com/do/account/login. Within this LMS I can add students, parents, groups, and teachers. I found this haikuLMS simple to set up, but I have yet to master all the features it has as I have not yet navigate. Blackboard and Moodle I found quite straightforward LMSs to navigate; however, occasionally I find I need to go forwards and then backwards to the sites I am looking, for example, fora. Class are becoming larger which is making it difficult for LM to teach all students. The advantage of LMS is it can reach a considerably superior number of students in an effective manner than would otherwise not be the case because students are not confined to a specific classroom or instructor for course material. LMS are capable of enhancing , engaging and extending learning in flexible and innovative ways by offering students access to information after school hours and if available LM to converse with (Green, 2009; Waterhouse 2005).

No comments:

Post a Comment