16 August 2009

ANIMATIONS AND SIMULATIONS

Animations
NHC Science Animations website lets the viewer or student follow a path the particular object may go on, with images and words. For example I click on “What Tree Is It?” under plants. The next page had three choices: identify by fruit, tree or name. I click on fruit, after clicking on this I had another five choices and so on. Hence with this tool students are learning about objects and there visual change over time.

Simulations
I was hesitant about going into the site for simulation “dissect a frog”. I can remember back at school doing this learning experience – will I didn’t actually, I left the classroom, hence I would not be able to conduct a class to dissect a frog or similar. However with this technology provide LM’s can conduct dissecting frogs and alike, trouble-free. I found this program “Frogouts” informative for myself, hence students will also, I learn new parts of the frog such as: where all the organs where, tympanum, cloaca and others. The assessment at the end of the dissection would be fantastic for students allowing them for the information learn to be summarise and recap, thus making sure they know it correctly. Also the assessment would lead to higher order thinking, which does need to summative.

Different learning style would benefit from this by:

  • Active and reflective learners – for active learners doing the dissection - reflective learners students can stop or pause the dissection allowing them time to think about new information.
  • Sensing learners – for sensors learners the dissection is connect to the real world, the animals are real, and facts are incorporated during the dissection.
  • Visual and verbal learners – visual and verbal this is a finest tool to implement, because visual learn best by seeing and verbal learners by hearing.Sequential and global learner – sequential the dissection is offered in linear steps.
  • Global learners giving students the big picture of what is going to taught and relating to what the students may already know: Teacher Talk: “We are going to be doing a dissection on frogs today via computer and there is an assessment at the end however this is formative. Can anyone tell me about frogs?” (Felder & Solman, n.d; JCU, 2008).

No comments:

Post a Comment